Frequently Asked Questions
How does body armor work?
- The engaged fibers absorb and disperse the impact energy that is transmitted to the plate from the bullet, causing the bullet(s) to deform or “mushroom”. Additional energy is absorbed by each successive layer of material in the plate, ultimately stopping the bullet.
Do ATS plates comply with NIJ standards?
- ATS plates are tested to the latest NIJ standards. Our plates are certified to the Type III standard and in process for Type IV standard certification. In addition, our Type IIIA for handgun rounds, and Type III++ plates are tested to special threats, even though standards on these particular types do not exist at this time.
What does QuadCurve mean?
- QuadCurve is the patented design of our armor shape, which increases the wear-side contact with the torso. This ergonomic fit offers increased comfort and safety and allows the plate to be used in the front or back.
How do I know what type of plate to purchase?
- To determine the best plate for your needs, first identify the highest ammunition threat level you could face and choose the plate that will best protect you from that threat. Protection varies from handgun protection all the way to the highest caliber steel core AP rifle rounds. Please contact an ATS Armor sales representative to learn more.
What are the differences between steel plates and ATS Armor plates?
- Steel plates are heavy, cumbersome, and non conforming to the body, which will compromise tactical movement. Bullets shot at steel plates also have a propensity to ricochet which can be very dangerous to the officer wearing them or anyone nearby.ATS Armor plates are up to 35% lighter than steel plates and feature an ergonomic QuadCurve design, which maximizes the wear-side contact with the body, offering superior safety and comfort. The advanced materials capture the bullet, preventing deflection.
Can anyone buy ATS Armor plates?
- ATS Armor sells to International, Federal, State and local law enforcement agencies, individual officers and professional security organizations. Credentials are required for individual officer and professional security organization purchases.
Do my ATS Armor plates come with a warranty?
- Yes, ATS Armor follows NIJ standards for hard armor plate warranties, which is 5 years. The warranty is based on the life expectancy of the materials used to manufacture them.
How do I care for my ATS Armor plates?
- ATS Armor plates are very robust and have been tested to handle extreme conditions. As with any life saving product, care should be taken to wipe debris and moisture from the covering with a damp cloth whenever present. Do not use solvents to clean your plates. Also, avoid impacts and store your plates in a dry environment.
How can I tell if my plate has been compromised?
- With a visual inspection, be aware of excessive cracking of the sealed outer coating and if necessary, perform a simple torsion test of the plate. If, under a light twist, ceramic crackling can be heard, the plate may be compromised. Do not take the risk of relying upon a plate, if you believe it has compromised.